Thursday, February 24, 2011

Cravings

This week I have been craving two things: wings and curry. I know, wings aren't really allowed at this point and time...but there is just something about them that I love. Maybe it's the sauce, maybe it's the crunchy exterior? All of that to say...I've been on a "wing" kick lately. Sunday/Monday I had been baking my tofu and smothering it with wing sauce (by the way...I picked up my grocery store's brand of wing sauce because I usually trust their judgement...not this time. The bottle of wing sauce had over 1000mg of sodium per tbsp!!!!! Just uncalled for. So, I found a really good one...no fat, no calories and only 190mg of sodium per tsp. Much better.). Tuesday I was sitting at my desk eating my tofu and was really wanting to make something "wingy". So, off to the nearest grocery store to my house after work. I thought it might be a stretch to find TVP, but you never know. In fact, they didn't carry it so I opted for a small bag of bulgur wheat. I went home, threw some stuff together and ended up with a nice (and primarily healthy) dinner:
I had leftover potatoes from Sunday night as well as some roasted brussel sprouts. The reason that I said "primarily healthy" is because my "wings" were kind of fried.
I decided I really wanted a crunchy exterior, so I pan fried them in a small layer of canola oil. I know, not the best, but in my defense I only fried them until they had some color and then finished them off in the oven. It definitely solved my craving, which is good. The recipe made 10:

1 1/2lbs tofu (pressed and crumbled)
1C cooked bulgur wheat
1T peanut butter
1T worchestershire sauce
1T wing sauce
1t salt

Combine all ingredients (cook bulgur wheat as instructed on package) and mash together with your hands until completely incorporated. Roll into balls or desired shape. Pan fry quickly in canola oil and finish off in a 425 degree oven for 40-45 minutes. Dredge in sauce and enjoy!
-------

I've been chowing on those leftovers for a few days now. Tonight was time to mix it up, which brings me to my love of all things curry. :)

I wanted a one-pot kind of dish tonight. After a month of making nearly every meal...and doing those dishes every single night (by hand...no dishwasher here. Or as my Mom and Dad would always say: "We have three good dishwashers sitting right here at the table." That seemed to never get old to them, but I think it sure aggravated us kids.) I have learned to simply my usage of things. Sorry for all the side notes tonight...but here's another one. In addition to the dishwasher, I am also without a microwave. You see, I have been microwave-less since 2006. It all started because I didn't have the space on my countertop in my house (in AR)...so I just forced myself to live without. It is difficult at times, but I quite enjoy not having all those horrible "waves" destroying my brain. OK...maybe not that so much as I have just learned to be without. Another note about my house in AR: it finally rented!!! It's been sitting empty since October, so I am elated that it is finally going to have tenants.

Alright. Curry. I decided to make a Curried Jambalaya. Here's the stuff:

2T canola oil
1 large onion, chopped
5 cloves garlic, minced
3T curry powder
1/2t cayenne pepper
2t salt
1t cumin
2t garam marsala (traditional spices used in Indian cuisine, super good if you can find it)
1t crushed red pepper
3.5C water
1 can coconut milk
2C long grain white rice
1 small head of broccoli, cut into small pieces
1 small eggplant, skin removed and chopped
1 medium red bell pepper, cut into small pieces
8oz can water chestnuts

In a large saucepan, heat canola oil then saute onions until soft. Add garlic and saute for 1 more minute. Add all spices and saute for 1 more minute. Add water, coconut milk, rice and broccoli. Stir together and cook over medium heat until rice begins to absorb some of the liquid (this is a good time to taste the liquid and add more salt/curry/heat according to your preference). Once it begins to thicken, add the eggplant, red bell pepper and water chestnuts. Cook, stirring frequently, until all the liquid has been absorbed into the rice and the rice is tender. This should take approximately 25-30 minutes. Once it is finished, let sit for 5 minutes with lid on. Serve and enjoy!
-----





The curried jambalaya is a great and quick meal. From start to finish, it only took me 45 minutes! I was planning on making something special with the leftovers...but I'm not sure there will be any. This will definitely last me through the weekend! There is just enough spice in there for me and the coconut milk adds such a richness that is just great. Hope you enjoy it as much as I am.

That's about all for tonight, I suppose. Only a few more days to go. I'm getting excited to see the results. I'll be sure to share everything, good or bad.

Have a great weekend everyone!

2 comments: